Tuesday, August 14, 2012

14,270 ft


I finally made it, I've now hiked a 14'er does this mean I'm a Coloradan now? Probably not until I participate in winter sports. But hey I'm getting closer! I am not going to pretend that this was easy for me, it was a brutal hike especially when I tried to keep up with those fast long legged friends of mine. I got up a 2am, managed to pull on my hiking boots and eat some oatmeal and headed out to meet everyone at the parking lot at work. We drove up, got out of the car into a much colder environment, strapped on a headlamp and started up the mountain. Round trip it's only 7-8 miles (depending on if you go up Grey's Peak *and* Torrey Peak)


I was the slow one. Legs were fine but it took about half the hike before my lungs stopped feeling like they were dying. Ironically I felt much better at around 13,000ft than I did at 11,000ft, though I could have just been delusional at that point :) The hike cleared 3000ft elevation gain, took about 5 hours, and got us back to the office before noon.




After I came down I was in awe of another friend of mine who has been up Mt. Rainier several times and runs around all the time. This is what she said to me:

Suffering is part of the bargain you make with the mountain - Anna Askren

I feel this is very apt. I got to the top of a beautiful mountain, with fresh air, friends, and just a thrill running through my entire body and soul. But I did have to suffer to get there. I think it was a good bargain. I'm already itching to do it again. Maybe I'll do more than one this year, before the cold weather sets in. Maybe Colorado will make a hiker outta me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment